The Summary metric card is another useful card in Beacon. It allows you to show a single number, summarising related records.
Here's a few examples:
- Sum of all donations a person has made:
- Number of people working at an organisation:
- Number of events a person has attended:
This is fairly self explanatory. Feel free to pick the title and icon that you feel is most intuitive.
link Related field
This is the field on the record type that you're summarising that points to the record type you're adding the card to.
Let's say you wanted to sum up payments made by someone when viewing their person record. On the payment record type, the "Donor" field is pointing at the person record type:
As such, you would choose the Donor field in this related field option:
link Metric & summary field
The metric lets you decide the kind of metric you'd like to show. If you just would like to show the number of related records, you can set that:
Alternatively, if you would like to sum up a numeric field (e.g. payment amount), you can do so:
Last but not least - filters. Sometimes you won't want to sum up all related records - just a subset of them. Filters allow you to define the criteria you want, using the standard Beacon filtering interface.
link Advanced scenarios
This card works similar to the List of related records card, but it does not (yet) support more advanced scenarios, like:
- Show the total donations made by someone's personal trust, when viewing their person record
- Show the total donations made by all employees at an organisation this year (although this can mostly be achieved using rollup fields)
If these are interesting to you, please let us know!