Beacon makes it easy to take donations online via popular payment methods like credit cards, PayPal, and Apple Pay. When donations are made, they're automatically saved into Beacon for you to report on.
However, how can you track where the donations come from? Enter Google Analytics - a fantastic (free) tool for tracking the success of your marketing campaigns. It helps you answer questions like:
- Which marketing channels drive the most revenue?
- Which emails are the most successful at driving donations?
- Which Google ads provide the best ROI?
Google Analytics helps you move on from numbers that don't matter (like open rates, click throughs) and focus on what matters - money donated to your end cause, and how you can attract more of it.
Set up Google Analytics with Beacon
1) Go to Settings > Charity Preferences
2) Paste your Google Analytics Property ID into the Google Analytics field (you can find this in Google Analytics > Admin > Tracking code.
3) Enable ecommerce tracking in the Ecommerce Settings page of Google Analytics
4) When new donations are made, they will automatically start appearing in your Google Analytics > Conversions > Ecommerce transactions list:
5) Important: the above will cause donations to be tracked in Google Analytics correctly, but they won't have sources correctly attributed to them - because Beacon forms run on a separate domain to your website.
To resolve this, ask your web developer to add the below Beacon tracking code to every page of your website: