Braintree is one of the leading payment gateways in the world, designed to help you take payments anywhere in the world. Today they're powering payments for some of the world's leading charities, including World Vision, Comic Relief, and Save the Children.
Create a Braintree account
To accept credit card payments through Beacon, you'll need to create a production Braintree account. To set up an account, head over to Braintree's website and go through the signup process until your account is activated.
Connect Braintree to Beacon
You can connect Braintree to Beacon easily using Braintree's API. To do this, you need to generate an API key for Beacon.
1) Login to your Braintree account
2) Click the cog, and then click the API option in the menu:
3) Click this button to generate a new API key:
4) After creating, click the view link to see the full API key details.
5) Head to your Beacon dashboard, and go to Settings > Payments. Scroll down to Braintree, and add your API details into the fields below:
6) Next, you need to pick your "merchant account". In Braintree, by default you have one merchant account, although it's possible to have more than one. Choose the one that you'd like to take payments through on Beacon.
Tip: the currency of this account needs to be the same as your Beacon account's currency.
7) Click Save Braintree settings, and you're done! You'll now start seeing credit card as an allowed payment option in your Beacon forms.
Frequently asked questions
Is it possible to collect recurring donations through Braintree?
Not currently, but we have plans to add this going forwards. For the moment, we recommend that you use Direct Debit (GoCardless) to take recurring donations. Please let us know if this is something you'd be interested in.
I noticed that Beacon also supports Stripe. Can we connect Stripe as well as Braintree to Beacon?
No - you'll need to choose either Braintree or Stripe, but not both.
Can we take payments via Apple Pay & Google Pay with Braintree?
This is something Braintree supports, but we haven't added support for it in Beacon... yet. Please let us know if you'd be interested in this.
I noticed that Braintree is a PayPal company. Can we take PayPal payments through Braintree as well?
For the moment, you should head over to our PayPal guide to set up PayPal donations.