Heads up! This is a guide for admins. If you're not an admin yet, ask your Beacon admin to promote you so you can start managing fields.
Beacon comes pre-packaged with a number of record types including people, donations, and events.
However, this is just the start. We've found that every nonprofit is different, so we built Beacon to be super flexible to fit your needs. You can add fields to existing record types (this article) or you can create entirely new record types.
Enabling customisation mode
Customisation mode is a special mode that you can enable while viewing any record in Beacon that lets you customise a record. (If you're an admin)
With customisation mode enabled, you can:
- Create, modify and remove fields
- Change field layouts (by modifying "cards", more info below)
- Add lists of related records
To enable customisation mode, click the cog in the top right of any record page:
Don't see the cog? Then you're not an admin - ask your admin to promote you.
Tip: any changes you make in customisation mode will affect all records of that type (not just the record you're viewing).
An introduction to "cards"
Cards take care of how records of each type are displayed in Beacon. They help structure your data in a way that's easy to view and edit.
There are a few different types of cards:
1) List of fields
The List of fields card is the most common kind of card in Beacon. This is how you to view and edit data about records. Usually you'll want to include fields in logical groups, like so:
2) List of related records
The List of related records card allows you to show a list of records that are related to the type of record you're viewing. For example:
- The donations someone has made
- The people attending an event
Currently, up to three related records are shown. To view all records, click view all.
If you have information about a record that doesn't make sense to live in one of the fields already available, you'll need to create a new field.
1) Open up a record in Beacon and enable builder mode.
2) Click the card where you'd like to add the new field.
3) Click Choose fields, and click Create new field on the right:
4) Give your new field a name, and choose the type of field that you'd like to create. Here's a full list of field types.
5) Click Create.