Heads up! This is a guide for admins. If you're not an admin yet, ask your Beacon admin to promote you so you can start managing fields.
Beacon comes pre-packaged with a number of record types including people, donations, and events.
However, this is just the start. We've found that every nonprofit is different, so we built Beacon to be super flexible to fit your needs. You can add fields to existing record types (this article) or you can create entirely new record types.
Enabling builder mode
Builder mode is a special mode that you can enable from any record in Beacon. (If you're an admin)
With builder mode enabled, you can:
- Create, modify and remove fields
- Change field layouts
- Add lists to related records
To enable builder mode, click the cog in the top right of any record page:
Don't see the cog? Then you're not an admin - ask your admin to promote you.
Note: any changes you make in builder mode will affect all records of that type (not just the individual record you're viewing).
An introduction to "blocks"
Blocks take care of how records of each type are displayed in Beacon. They help structure your data in a way that's easy to view and edit.
There are a few different types of blocks:
- Related records
Attributes blocks allow you to view and edit record data. Usually you'll want to include fields in logical groups, like links to social media profiles:
When in builder mode, you can re-order fields in a block by dragging and dropping the field you'd like to move:
2) Related records
Related records blocks allow you to show a list of records that are related to the type of record you're viewing. For example:
- The donations someone has made
- The people attending an event
Currently, up to three related records are shown. To view all records, click view all.
If you have information about a record that doesn't make sense to live in one of the fields already available, you'll need to create a new field.
1) Open up a record in Beacon and enable builder mode.
2) Click the block where you'd like to add the new field.
3) Click Choose fields.
4) Scroll down and then click Create new field. (Tip: you can also add fields that you've already created)
5) Give your new field a name, and choose the type of field that you'd like to create. Here's a full list of field types.
6) Click Create.