Beacon offers a fair billing policy where you are only billed for the team members (users) who are "active" - those who currently have access to your database.
The short version
- Each month, you'll be billed based on the number of active team members.
- You can add or remove team members whenever you like.
- Fair pro-rata billing calculations will be made automatically when team members are added/removed, and will be reflected on your next charge.
- Beacon can cater for "light" users (e.g. volunteers), at discounted per-user rates
Adding team members
If you'd like to invite a colleague or volunteer to your account, you can invite them to join. We'll only charge you for the time remaining during your current billing period, and bill you once per month (if you're paying by card).
Here's an example:
You're on the Professional plan, currently paying £50 per month for each user. You add a new member 10 days into billing period, and there are 20 days remaining in the month.
We calculate the pro-rata subscription cost, by dividing the cost per user (£50) by the number of days in the month (30), and multiplying by the remaining number of days (20). This gives us the pro-rata subscription cost for the remainder of that billing period: £33.33.
Similarly, if you're paying annually, we'll bill you for the amount of time left on your billing period. For example, if you're paying annually and add someone halfway through the year, we'll bill you for the 6 months remaining.
link Credit card charges
You’ll see the first credit card charge from Beacon on the day you purchase a Beacon plan. Here are some other times you’ll see charges:
- On the monthly renewal date if your account is on a monthly payment schedule.
- On the annual renewal date if your account is on an annual payment schedule.
- Every 3 months after your first payment date, if your account is on an annual payment schedule and there is an outstanding balance from adding new members or fees on payments.
link Paying by invoice
If you're paying annually by invoice, we'll invoice you for the full year for a set number of users.
If you add more team members to your account, or you're using Beacon to take payments and some fees are owed, we'll invoice you every 3 months after your contract start date to settle any outstanding balances.
link Deactivating team members
Beacon makes it easy to manage the team members who have access to your database. When you deactivate them, we'll add a pro-rata credit to your Beacon account, and it'll be applied when new team members are invited, or on your next renewal date.
Note: this credit has no currency or exchange value, is non-transferable and non-refundable and will expire if you choose to cancel your Beacon subscription.
Here's an example:
You're on the Professional plan, currently paying £50 per month for each user. One of your users is deactivated 15 days into your billing period.
We calculate your pro-rata credit amount by dividing the cost per user (£50) by the number of days in the month (30) and multiplying by the number of days that person had an active Beacon user account. This gives us a pro-rata credit of: £25.
link "Light" users
If you have staff members who only need limited access to the database or are part-time, we can cater for you with restricted "user types" with reasonable discounted per-user rates.
This is particularly useful if you have:
- A large team of volunteers or case-workers
- Team members who only need to access one small part of the database
- Team members who only need to log in on rare occasions
If this is of interest to you, please get in touch.