If you're a UK-based charity, Beacon does the heavy lifting to make it easy for you to claim Gift Aid on your donations from UK taxpayers.
How Beacon helps you with Gift Aid
1) When a payment (e.g. a donation) is added to your Beacon database, we automatically check to see if the payment is eligible for Gift Aid.
2) If a payment is eligible, the payment is automatically added to a new "Gift Aid Claim" in your Beacon database. This claim is marked as open - which means that the claim is currently being built up.
3) At the end of each month, the open claim as marked as ready to submit. This means that Beacon has finished building up the open claim, and it is ready to be submitted to HMRC.
4) Before submitting your claim, you can preview the payments that will be submitted to HMRC. You can download a CSV file with all of the data that will be submitted, including:
- First & last name
- Payment amount & date
- Other info (for overseas and sponorship)
5) When you're ready to submit your claim, you can submit it directly to HMRC through Beacon. You won't need to login to Charities Online to submit the claim - Beacon communicates with HMRC directly.
6) After submitting, we attach a CSV file with a list of all payments claimed, and the raw data (in XML) sent and received to and from HMRC. (Important for audit purposes)
What makes a payment eligible for Gift Aid?
Not all payments are eligible for Gift Aid. HMRC have specific rules that determine whether a payment is eligible for Gift Aid, or not.
Beacon only adds eligible payments to claims, so it's important to make sure that payments are stored correctly in Beacon to maximise the amount of Gift Aid you can claim.
Learn more about Gift Aid eligibility here.
Can donations for sponsored events be claimed through Beacon?
Yes. Learn more about claiming Gift Aid for sponsorships here.
Can we collect oral Gift Aid declarations through Beacon?
Yes. Learn more about collecting oral declarations here.
Does Beacon work with the small donations scheme?
Beacon allows you to claim Gift Aid top-up payments on small donations through the Small Donations Scheme (GASDS). Learn more about this here.
Is Beacon a Gift Aid collection agent?
No. Gift Aid collection agents claim Gift Aid for you, collecting the funds and paying you at a later date (often deducting a fee).
Beacon simply submits payments on your behalf (without taking a fee) as though you had uploaded them to HMRC yourself. Except that with Beacon, you don't have to deal with spreadsheets!