Mailchimp is an online email marketing service for managing contacts, sending email newsletters, and tracking results of your team's email campaigns.
With the Mailchimp app for Beacon, you can keep the two systems in-sync - so there's no need for CSV uploads and manual data entry. And importantly - it means you won't accidentally email someone who's opted out of email communications.
You can export people directly from Beacon to Mailchimp, allowing you to segment people based on supporter data that exists in Beacon - and send them relevant communications in Mailchimp.
- Export to audience
- Automatic subscriber import
- Email logging
- Sync your opt-outs
- Automatic export with workflows
- How do I send emails to people using legitimate interest?
- How should I structure my Mailchimp account/audiences?
- I get some errors when exporting to Mailchimp, what are they?
- What data is mapped from Mailchimp into Beacon when people subscribe to an audience?
- What data is mapped from Beacon into Mailchimp when I export people to an audience?
- Can I re-add someone to a Mailchimp audience after they've been removed from the audience?
Want to send an email to a list of people in Beacon? Export people to Mailchimp in just a few clicks:
See the 'Exporting people to Mailchimp' section for more details.
link Automatic subscriber import
When someone subscribes to your list in Mailchimp, they will be automatically added as a person in Beacon.
The following fields in Mailchimp will be imported:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Phone number
Additionally, you can use "fixed data", to ensure that your subscribers flow into Beacon categorised in the right way:
link Email logging
When you send a campaign in Mailchimp, the campaign send will be automatically logged to the timelines of every subscriber that's saved as a person in Beacon:
You can click through from here directly to the campaign in Mailchimp, and its associated reports.
link Sync your opt-outs
When someone unsubscribes from your list in Mailchimp, the 'Email' channel is automatically removed from the 'Contact Preferences' field on the corresponding record in Beacon.
Similarly, when 'Email' is removed from the 'Contact Preferences' field in Beacon, you don't have to also unsubscribe them in Mailchimp - we'll do that for you.
link Automatic export with workflows
This is particularly useful if:
- You'd like to automatically add new supporters into Mailchimp (no manual exports!)
- You are using Mailchimp's automations to send drip email campaigns
link Interaction summary
These are the actions that will happen by default between Beacon and Mailchimp.
Unsubscribe in Mailchimp ➜ 'Email' removed from Beacon contact preferences
'Email' removed from Beacon contact preferences ➜ Unsubscribed from ALL monitored Mailchimp audiences
Subscribe in Mailchimp ➜ Person added in Beacon with 'Email' in contact preferences
Person added in Beacon with 'Email' in contact preferences ➜ Not automatically added to Mailchimp (possible with workflows)
Contact archived or deleted in Mailchimp ➜ 'Email' removed from Beacon contact preferences
Person archived or deleted in Beacon ➜ Contact NOT unsubscribed in Mailchimp (remove 'Email' before archiving if you want to unsubscribe them)
link Install guide
You can set up the Mailchimp app for Beacon in minutes.
- Navigate to the apps directory in your Beacon sidebar, and click Install on the Mailchimp app.
- Next, you need to connect your Mailchimp account with Beacon:
- After connecting, you can choose the Mailchimp lists you'd like to monitor, and some other settings. Usually the pre-filled settings are fine for most organisations.
- Click Save Integration. That's it, you're done!
link Exporting people to Mailchimp
Exporting people from Beacon into Mailchimp is easy.
- Select the people you want to export from your list of People
Sending an email using legitimate interest instead? See our guide here.
Click the action menu at the top of the list (the three dots!) and select 'Export to Mailchimp'.
Select the list you wish to export to, and (optionally) add a tag, which can be useful for segmenting a list in Mailchimp once the export is finished.
Click Export - and Beacon will do the magic for you! This may take some time if you're exporting a large amount of contacts
Nicely done, you're ready to send email campaigns to your supporters!
We've got a comprehensive guide on how to manage your legitimate interest mailings with Mailchimp!
link How should I structure my Mailchimp account/audiences?
Beacon works best with Mailchimp's recommendation to have one single audience for your contacts. You can then use tagging to easily segment them within that audience, using the vast information you have available in Beacon. You'll also avoid having contacts stored in many audiences (costing you more!), which helps to keep your data clean.
Mailchimp have a fabulous article about how to organise your audiences.
link I get some errors when exporting to Mailchimp, what are they?
Sometimes when you export people to Mailchimp, you will get errors that come back when the export is complete.
Mailchimp don't tell us exactly what the errors were, but they are usually either:
- 'Cleaned' emails that Mailchimp has already removed from your audience (bounced addresses)
- Contacts that have been deleted or unsubscribed in Mailchimp so you aren't able to re-subscribe them. Direct any of these people to sign up to your Mailchimp list directly - it's the only way for them to be subscribed again. See Mailchimp's guide here.
link What data is mapped from Mailchimp into Beacon when people subscribe to an audience?
The email address will always be imported into Beacon.
Additionally, we will bring in Mailchimp's standard "merge tags" when saving subscribers as people in your Beacon database:
- FNAME (First name)
- LNAME (Last name)
- PHONE (Phone numbers)
- ADDRESS (Address - Line 1, 2, City, Region, Postcode, and Country)
link What data is mapped from Beacon into Mailchimp when I export people to an audience?
Beacon will just export basic information to Mailchimp when exporting, as these are the only fields that are universal across all Mailchimp accounts:
- First name
- Last name
link Can I re-add someone to a Mailchimp audience after they've been removed from the audience?
Yes, and no!
- Unsubscribed by you - Yes, you can resubscribe them from Beacon
- Unsubscribed by the contact - No, they will need to resubscribe directly
- Archived by you - Yes, you can resubscribe (and therefore unarchive) them from Beacon
- Deleted by you - No, they will need to resubscribe directly